Thanks for Stopping By!

Welcome to all visitors and new followers. It is great that you have taken the time to read a post or two. Please visit again and continue to keep it simple and make it real.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pepper Steak

The other night I was preparing pepper steak for supper and noticed that my camera was on the counter.  That is when I decided to record how I make this dish.  I have been making this for soooo long that I do not remember if this original to me or from another source.

The amount I make is for two servings and leftovers for lunch.  Some of the measurements are according to taste, so please taste and change.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb        beef - any kind - cut into strips
1 Tbl         oil - not olive oil
1/2            green pepper - cut into strips
1/2            medium onion - sliced
3/4 C        mushrooms - fresh or 1 small can - sliced
1 ts           ground ginger
1 ts           garlic powder or to taste
2 C           boiling water
1 Tbl        corn starch
1 Tbl        sugar
2 Tbl        soy sauce
                 salt and pepper to taste



Put oil in pan on medium/high heat.  When hot brown the meat and then add the peppers, onion and mushrooms.  Add the garlic and ginger.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until the vegetables become a little soft.


 
 
Add the boiling water.  It should just about cover what is in the pan.

 
 
Let it all bubble for 2 minutes.  Change the heat to low and cover.  Let it cook on low for about 20 minutes or until the meat is tender. Check often to be sure the water isn't evaporating and add more if needed.


 
 
While the mixture is cooking, in a separate small bowl, mix the sugar and the cornstarch.  Add the soy sauce a little at a time and stir like hell or it will turn into cement.  The consistency should be a bit thick.

 
 
Add the cornstarch mixture a little at a time to the pan.  It will make a gravy/sauce as it mixes with the hot water.
 

 
 
 

 
I serve it over rice.  Sometimes I put sliced tomatoes in the pan for a minute or two before serving.  They add some color and a bit of a different taste.  If I make this for company I throw some chopped green onion on top.
 

 
 
When CH and I were dating I made this dish and another called Chicken Hawaiian for he and the kids.  He told me later that he knew I was a keeper after tasting these meals.  "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" was never more true.
 
 
I hope you try this dish and like it as much as we do.
 
 
Meanwhile .... keep it simple and make it real.
 
 
Jeanne 







No comments:

Post a Comment