Thanks for Stopping By!

Welcome to all visitors and new followers. It is great that you have taken the time to read a post or two. Please visit again and continue to keep it simple and make it real.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Life is Definitely Too Short

“When I was 17 I read a quote that went something like ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself, ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been “no” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important thing I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life, because almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. “
                                                   Steve Jobs

It is so true that we could possibly be living the last day of our lives. Who knows if today is the day that the infamous bus is going to hit and kill us? How does thinking this way alter the way we spend our lives?

When I was young I never even thought about it. I had a long life ahead of me to use and abuse as I saw fit. Now that I am 66, the uncertainty of the number of my remaining days is hitting me square in the face. I cannot waste time because there is no time to waste. I am doing what I want, when and how I want to do it. I do not waste time and energy worrying about what other people think of me. I am honest about myself to myself.

I have made some really big mistakes in the past but I am not repeating them. Learning a lesson may be hard but, damn it, it is learned forever.

One not so big lesson I have learned is to not sweat the small stuff and pick my battles. I have shrugged off more things in recent years than I did in 45 years. Life is so much easier when one is not constantly annoyed about trivial things. Waiting in line was always a big annoyance. I could feel my blood pressure rise with every passing minute. Now a wait is an opportunity to just let my thoughts go wherever they please. Peaceful time.

As far as picking my battles goes, unless CH does or says something really stupid or mean, I say what I think and give it up - sometimes. I’m not perfect!

One of the best things about my frame of mind and being retired is that I do not wear makeup very often. That doesn’t mean that my face doesn’t need it, it means that I don’t want to wear makeup so I don’t. Such freedom to just shower, fix the hair and be done. No one has accused me of scaring small children.

Folks, think about it. Do what you love, love who you can and stop making mountains out of molehills. Really, life is too short.

Keep it simple, folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment