Thanks for Stopping By!

Welcome to all visitors and new followers. It is great that you have taken the time to read a post or two. Please visit again and continue to keep it simple and make it real.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Grocery Shopping Price Comparisons

Grocery shopping can be hell or it can be pleasant. I found it to be hell as a working mother because it was something on a list of to-do’s that had to be done.

Back in the late 70’s - early 80’s Massachusetts got rid of some Blue Laws that forbade certain types of stores to be open on Sunday. These laws went way back to the beliefs of the Pilgrims/Puritans and were tough to repeal. I hope my facts are straight on this. I don’t want to be accused of rewriting history.

I thought I had it made when the supermarkets were open on Sunday because I had another full day to get the shopping done. Such a relief! I think it was a tremendous uplift for all working people who had time crunches. The shopping task was not all that easy because of coupon clipping and price comparing.

There was no extra time to sit down and clip coupons and make lists of the least expensive product per ounce per store and then figure in the time and gas cost to drive from one store to another to save 5 cents!!

Now, of course, my lifestyle has changed as have my shopping habits. I could shop at 2 a.m. if I pleased. I do not please. I do not clip coupons very often because I find that the coupons are not for things I use. Traveling around from one store to another for the cheapest price on one item is a waste of time.

In light of all this, I am embarking on a grocery shopping research study of my own making. I have a printed list of everything I purchase regularly. I have made three columns - one for each of the most convenient grocery stores - and will enter the price of each item at each store. Whichever store has the largest saving margin will get my business. No more fooling around. There may be one exception, however. I purchase all paper products at Dollar General and will continue to do so unless the prices at one of the other stores can beat them.

The research starts today. I will let you know how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment