Thanks for Stopping By!

Welcome to all visitors and new followers. It is great that you have taken the time to read a post or two. Please visit again and continue to keep it simple and make it real.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Valentine's Day

Every year I rethink how stupid Valentine's Day is.  I believe it was concocted by greeting card, candy and flower companies to make money.  I think it puts pressure on people to  "prove" they love or like someone.  I believe that it encourages low self-esteem for those who do not get any valentines.

It starts in grammar school with the kids giving valentine cards to each other.  Those who do not receive as many as others feel bad and unliked. 

By high school, when kids have boyfriends or girlfriends, it becomes a competition about who received the best card or the biggest box of candy.  Those people without boyfriends or girlfriends feel second class. 

Before I go on I should explain that these thoughts are not sour grapes on my behalf from experiences as a kid.  I had enough low self-esteem issues but none were from a lack of valentines.  I had one boyfriend all through high school.  These thoughts formed in my twenties.

So, it is tough being single on the day that glorifies couples.  People who know their self worth treat it as just another day, but people who haven't had a date in 6 months feel that a billboard with their name on it is in the middle of town.  These are feelings that I remember.  There is such pressure to be part of a couple that the empowerment of being single is diminished. 

Everyday should be the day that we express our love to those we care about.  We don't have to spend money on cards, candy and flowers to prove anything.  Spread the love everyday!

I am getting down from my soapbox now.  My venting is over.  You may get on with your day.

Meanwhile ..... keep it simple and make it real.

Jeanne

3 comments:

  1. Hi I've just nominated you for a Leibster Award! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I think. I don't know what it is. xo Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I just looked it up. Thank you so much. It is an honor for me that you consider my blog in that ranking. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete